Getting Here & Around
Location of the Park
- Nakai Nam Theun National Park (Google location) is located in Khammouane and Bolikhamxay Provinces in central Lao PDR.
- Tours into Nakai Nam Theun National Park start in either Thalang (Google location) or Nakai Town (Google location), Nakai District, Khammouane Province, Lao PDR.
- The Nakai Nam Theun National Park Office & Visitor Center (Google location) is located in Nakai Town, Nakai District, Khammaoune Province, Lao PDR.
Step 1: Go to Thalang or Nakai Town (car, motorbike, or bus)
- From Vientiane: Follow Route 13 south for about 220km. At Namthone (100km before Thakek) turn left onto Route 8 for another 97km. At Lak Sao, turn right onto Route 1E and drive 50km to Thalang.
- From Thakek: Follow Route 12 east for 56km to the Gnommalath turn off, turning left onto Route 1E. At Lak Sao, turn right onto Route 1E. Drive 23km to Nakai Town (Oudomsouk Village).
- Motorbikes and cars can be rented in Thakek.
- Direct Bus: There is a night bus that departs Vientiane every evening to Nakai Town from the Southern Bus Station. Contact your guesthouse in advance to arrange a pick up when it arrives in the early morning (~4am).
Step 2: Book a tour to the park from Thalang or Nakai Town (Oudomsouk Village)
- To get to the park, you must book a tour from a guesthouse in Thalang or Nakai Town.
- The guesthouse will arrange your roundtrip boat transport, local guides, food, equipment and entrance fees.
The Loop & Nearby Attractions
Nakai Nam Theun is located along The Loop, which is the tourist route between Khammouane & Bolikhamxay Provinces, starting and ending in Thakek and traveled by motorbike, bicycle or car. Nearby attractions include:
- Kong Lor Cave (in Phou Hin Poun National Protected Area)
- Hin Nam No National Park & the Xe Bang Fai Cave,
- The Rock Viewpoint (ziplining & treehouses) at Phou Pha Man in Nam Sanam District Protected Area
- Green Climbers Home (rock climbing)